COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Ohio Legal professional Standard Dave Yost has filed two different lawsuits versus home owner contractors.
In accordance to Yost, these contractors allegedly failed to supply the dwelling repairs and renovation companies promised to and paid for by owners.
“Instead of strapping on their toolbelts and likely to get the job done, these scammers assumed they could operate off with the funds,” Yost mentioned. “So now we’ve grabbed our instruments and we’re going to drop the hammer on these fellas.”
The fit was submitted in Franklin County Court docket of Frequent Be sure to in opposition to Weylin Stewart, Roofless Standard Contracting LLC and Gutter and Downspouts LLC.
According to court docket documents, they are accused of taking in excess of $36,000 from house owners intended for residence renovations and repairs. The go well with claims they unsuccessful to full the operate they have been previously paid out for.
In this article are techniques to stay clear of contractor frauds, furnished by the Legal professional General Business:
- Inquire the contractor for and examine references. Beware that contractors may perhaps use option organization or personal names to keep away from poor references.
- Request the contractor for evidence of licenses, insurance policy, and bonding. Point out legislation does not involve residence advancement contractors to be certified, but quite a few Ohio metropolitan areas do.
- Examine with the nearby Improved Small business Bureau at www.bbb.org and the Ohio Legal professional General’s Business to see if issues are on file towards the enterprise or the personal. You can also look for for past lawsuits submitted by the Legal professional General’s Customer Protection Section, click on here.
- Attain at least a few created estimates from three different contractors.
- Get all promises, specifications, and warranties in writing. As soon as a contract is agreed upon, read through the agreement totally just before signing.
- Do not fork out for the whole occupation upfront. Try out to perform out a payment plan with the contractor – this kind of as a single-third up-front 1-third halfway as a result of, and a person-3rd on completion to your satisfaction.