NASHVILLE, The Tennessee Division of Commerce and Insurance is reminding owners to watch for house enhancement cons this spring.
In accordance to a news release, TDCI and the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors are reminding residents of measures they can consider to employ the service of reliable contractors.
Shoppers can check out the criticism and disciplinary historical past of a contractor as a result of the Board for Licensing Contractors by calling (800) 544-7693 or (615) 741-8307, or by emailing [email protected]
To file a criticism, simply click in this article.
Tennessee’s felony theft law handles people when a contractor usually takes revenue and does not accomplish get the job done within 90 times, according to the launch. For far more information and facts, simply click right here.
Inhabitants are also reminded of the pursuing:
- A contractor’s license is essential just before bidding or value negotiations on assignments of $25,000 or much more.
- For jobs under $25,000, test with your neighborhood government’s making codes business to ensure if a contractor requires a point out or neighborhood license to carry out property enhancement, electrical, plumbing or HVAC function, and their permit needs for inspections.
- Ensure they are effectively accredited below.
- Get numerous bids and test references prior to committing
- Be cautious of contracts marketing door-to-doorway repairs, specifically when requested for payment up entrance or deep savings.
- Question who will be doing function (contractor, worker or subcontractor)
- Get a written contract with contractor’s name, address, mobile phone selection, predicted state and completion date.
- Tennessee’s Household Advancement regulation prohibits contractors from asking for a down payment of a lot more than 1/3 of the total deal.
- Make certain the contractor is insured and ask for copies of certificates exhibiting a current productive date.
- In no way shell out with income or the overall charge before the function is comprehensive.
To keep away from staying the target of misleading practices, enjoy for these red flags:
- An unlicensed human being heading doorway-to-door
- A particular person who utilizes significant-strain profits strategies
- Stay clear of functioning with a person in unmarked vehicles or vans, and refuses to set out entire or distinct deal phrases in creating.